Bridges of Justice Series | Pride Month
"Building Allies & Understanding to Recreate Our World"
Unity of Olympia is honored to bring this incredible Bridges of Justice Series to our community. This series of presentations on social justice issues facing our society was part of the Unity Northwest Region's Annual Conference in September 2021.
In this format, we will present the original recordings from the conference followed by a special live Q & A opportunity with the presenter. All via Zoom. Participation in this event is by donation. Donations can be made via our Donation Page. Please note "Bridges of Justice" in the comments field.
Registration is required.
Mitch Hunter: Gender Expansive Diversity - An Insider's View
June 17th, 6:00-8:00pm via Zoom
Mitchell Hunter Bio
When it all comes down to it…we all seek it, we all want it, at our very core we are all just looking for love, connection and belonging. Brené Brown talks about the difference between simply fitting in, the barrier to belonging, as acclimating or acquiescing to 'fit in' to an environment versus true belonging. True belonging comes from a solid foundation of knowing who you are, growing, accepting and loving yourself where you are, as you are and the courage it takes to live that truth, fully.
Transgender/non-binary and gender expansive identified folx are often starting from a place of deep shame, not the idea of "I did something wrong" but simply as who I am, "I am wrong". The fear that "I am a mistake; there's something wrong with me; why can't I be like everyone else--normal" sometimes defines our lives rather than being able to see ourselves as the unique, diverse, multi-talented versions of who we are, as connected to and as Source Energy.
- Explore the framework of understanding gender as a construct and how it frames our entire existence as a "gendered" experience.
- Open to a mindset that to live within the binary lines of "male" or "female" limits us from the inclusive experience of expansive view of gender identity and expression.
- Hear from "an insider's view" what it is like to experience life/live as trans/nb individual. Mitch Hunter and other panelists will share their lived experiences.
- Request/Order "Worthy" book from Unity.org: stories of Trans/nb, and LGBQ identified folx within Unity and their individual journey's to living their authentic life.
- Receive a "checklist" you can use to signal a more inclusive, open experience for trans/nb folx within your space and as individuals whether as "ally" or "accomplice".
When it all comes down to it, we are all more alike than we are different. We are all looking for love, connection and belonging.